Monday 15 November 2010

Movember - Raising awareness

From Fashionistable
While at a press day recently I was chatting to one of the lovely ladies from Iris Nation. When she told me they look after the PR for Movember I immediately asked how I could help. 5 years ago I was involved in a project for Breast Cancer. Since then however I have personally known a lot of men, uncles, in-laws, neighbours and friends who have fought the battle with prostrate cancer. Out of 8 only 2 are still alive. I have been wanting to do something in their honor for quite some time and it was wonderful to be sitting beside someone I could offer my services to.
It is great that the guys have a month dedicated to them now, like breast cancer the statistics are difficult reading
UK Latest Messaging
  • One man dies every hour of prostate cancer in the UK.
  • Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men.
  • In the UK 35,000 men are diagnosed every year, this is the equivalent of 100 per day.
  • Prostate cancer diagnoses have increased by 60% over the past ten years.
  • In the UK men have a 1 in 11 lifetime risk of getting prostate cancer
Do any of you lovely readers know any guys growing moustaches this month? I would love to meet and photograph some of them. Please get in touch dvora@fashionistable.com
In the meantime for more info or donate go to movemberfoundation.com or prostate-cancer.org.uk

Image from Iris PR.

7 comments:

SabinePsynopsis said...

This is a lovely picture and a very worthy project, Dvora. I know astonishingly many men with prostate cancer... It is frighteningly common. Moustache? My colleague had a bit of a stubble this morning, but it could also just be a Monday morning hangover - will check again tomorrow. xxx

That's Not My Age said...

I don't know anyone growing a moustache for Movember but I do think that this is a fantastic idea and good on you for getting involved!
x

the nyanzi report said...

wow D. this is something that scares the living day lights out of me. i know many men in my family struggling with it.

studies are showing that it's mordern-day diet being the cause of these astronomical figures and unhealthy lifestyles.

i don't know whether it true or not but something is definately wrong. 100 men everyday is a scary picture. worse than terrorism.

kudos to you for doing something about this.

moustaches...? ha!

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Dvora, it's an excellent cause. I shall keep my eye on my friends for any moustaches. I have one idea of someone who'd be good, I shall find out if he has one at the moment xx

Biana said...

Shocking facts! So good of you to bring this to the attention. Goodluck in finding men with facial hair! Xx

Matthew Spade said...

i have a beard but the tashe just doesn't suit me at all, i know that's bad but i can't do it.

Andy Bailey said...

Hi



I have just been reading your recent article....



http://fashionistable.blogspot.com/2010/11/movember-raising-awareness.html



I am currently taking part in Movember, if you please you can view my Mo Space............



http://uk.movember.com/mospace/761948/



I am currently holding the top ranking MO space in the UK which I have achieved through making friends (Fellow Mo Bro's) from participating contries around the globe and also on Facebook.

Maybe you can help me boost my ratings further by speading the news for me. If it led to donations that would be even better. Likewsie if you have any other ideas on how I can boost awareness through my profile and gain donations it would be much appreciated.



I look forward to your reply and hope that I can count on your support.



Please feel free to use any of my pictures. i have better quality copies if desired.



Kind Regards



Andy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...