Tuesday 3 October 2023

Sarah (Ciel) Ratty FRSA - Founder Conscious Earthwear

 

It was wonderful to head to the sea to photograph Sarah, to a place she has spent most of her life. Sarah is one of our original voices on Sustainable, Circular, Conscious fashion, a pioneer. Still working as a designer she also uses her extensive knowledge as a sustainable design expert, consultant, teacher, speaker and coach, seeing herself as a fashion futurist, she tells us that sustainability is the first step towards success, circularity the next. Here is her story.

 

D: Sarah where did you grow up and what were your early influences?
 
S: I grew up in Brighton. Mum was a fashion historian, and taught me from a young age to look at the history of fashion and look at circularity in fashion. She used to say that everything comes around again every seven years. I would say ‘but look mum I've got these amazing shoes’ and she would say ‘yes, I used to wear that style in the 40s’. I thought they were so radical, but no. She would say ‘There’s nothing new, but its a different interpretation, everything has its cycle roughly 7-10 years, it’s the nature of fashion to be circular ’ So, I was taught that everything is circular because of my mother’s knowledge of how fashion worked. She was a lecturer at Brighton College of Art, now Brighton University, and she taught the history of fashion and costume. Barbara (Hulanicki aka Biba) was one of her students. Mum and Dad became her friends and “Pauline and Peter” are mentioned in her book from A to Biba.
 
My best friend Tatiana’s mum Antonia and her brother Ru ran a boutique in the lanes called Topaz on Park Walk in Brighton in the late 60’s early 70’s, after school, when I was 4, we used to sit underneath the clothes and play and look at the people coming in and out. I remember in the 70’s the boutique sold bum bags made from ex-convict’s jeans, it’s my first memory of recycling. They were embroidered with stars, flowers and patches with messages of peace and love for the flower power generation. It was already happening then recycling clothes, it’s not a new concept. But every generation seems to think it's new because it's new to them! Myself included!! In the 70’s in Brighton, with Infinity Foods, Whole Earth Catalogue, Sussex University sit-ins, protest counterculture from the Beatniks to the Hippies all were a huge influence as I was growing up in Brighton.
 
Anita Roddick (The Body Shop Founder) was a massive inspiration to me, she started her first shop in Brighton. I remember walking past the shop when I was little, it smelt lovely from the street, she used recycled bottles and had re-fill stations in store for her products, which were all against animal testing and used natural plant-based ingredients without harmful chemicals. Reading her autobiography really inspired me, as a woman she was my major influence. Her and Barbara of course, whose first shop was also in Brighton. Reading Richard Branson's book was also inspiring, because he was very progressive and modern in his approach. They showed me how to be Go Ahead and Dynamic, let’s get on with it, be part of the solution, make it happen, like the slogan from Greenpeace, “think globally act locally”, that was my inspiration. It inspired me to think Yes!! Come on, Let’s do this, make a difference, be the change! 
 
D: Was this during your teenage years?
 
S: Yes, I was a teenager growing up in Brighton the home of counterculture. I thought everyone was going to be like this I didn’t know we were in our own Right On Bubble!

I moved to Bristol to study fashion and although it was a green cultural community, I missed Brighton so I only stayed for a year. During that year though I was nominated as student designer of the year for Fashion Weekly magazine. 

I moved back home to Brighton in the late 80’s and had a gap year. I volunteered part time at Oxfam, and worked in one of the shops, and found out what happened to the donations.
 
When they come in things that are of merchantable quality go out onto the shop floor, if after six weeks they haven't sold they go back to the warehouse, and then they will be sent to a big plant in Huddersfield called Oxfam Wastesavers, the clothes are then categorised.
 
There are a lot of vintage seekers, people looking for certain types of product. Vintage was and still is massive, so people are sorting and searching for certain things and the clothing is put into packs for different groups. Whatever is not good enough is made into something called ‘shoddy’. Shoddy is used as carpet underlay, or insulation and most people don't even know, that happens. I was passionate about all of this and wanted to do everything I could to change the world.

Daryl, a woman who lived on my street, ran a model agency called Circuit Models and through her I started modelling for local photographer Glen Luchford, and in London with Donna Trope, I seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Glenn (Luchford) said to me, ‘Sarah, show me your book’ as we chatted he asked ‘what do you really want to do?’ my reply was ‘I want to be a fashion designer.’ He encouraged me go for it ‘you’ve got to try you never know it might just work out’. Shortly after I finished college and stopped modelling, I got a job in fashion and I went to live in London. 

 

D: What year was this?
 
S: Around 88-89 during that whole rave summer of love thing. After moving to London I interned with Lisa Nelson PR agency in South Kensington we looked after a lot of fabulous fashion brands such as Dolce & Gabbana, Adolfo Dominguez, Charles Jourdan and Reebok trainers. I had to call round to all the fashion magazines and find out what they were working on and send things they may like to shoot for the magazines, booking appointments with stylists and handling the call ins and returns. Lisa gave me tickets to go to a Vivienne Westwood show which I loved. I sat next to a lady in a navy blue suit, she looked so smart, I said ‘Wow look at you in your blue suit. Are you from America?” Because I thought only Americans would do that, turn up to a Vivienne Westwood show wearing a suit! She replied, ‘no, I work at Options Magazine’, so I asked if she needed an intern and by luck she did.

 

They were based in Newman Passage at the time, near Soho. I loved working there, I got to meet and work behind the scenes as a stylist, to some incredible photographers like John Swannell, it was an absolute education in how the fashion industry worked, I loved it, creating these incredible beautiful images. I loved fashion photography and found it fascinating working in the magazine world creating looks to inspire people to have fun with how they dressed. It was a great time, Models One was just down the road and Storm Models Agency was in Covent Garden it was a great experience. While I was there, during one of my lunch breaks I saw a job advertised for a designer, for Sun & Sand.
 
That became my first job as a designer, with Sun & Sand, they had made their name in the 70’s it was a great job and meant I got to work in the South of France. They had their own small factory. During a trip to visit the factory I remember driving over a river which had a big sign that said ‘Polluted River’ so I asked, ‘what’s that all about’ they said ‘oh that's because of the fashion and textile industry, the dye mills up the road.’ Until that point, I had no idea the impact the business of fashion had on the environment. I was a member of Greenpeace and I had read about industrial pollution, but I didn’t realise that fashion was involved. I thought that there must be legislation to prevent that kind of thing. But there wasn’t until the mid 90’s, when they banned Azo dyes in Europe. 

When legislation started kicking in around this sort of thing companies moved the production to the Far East where there was no legislation to prevent chemical run off… Sadly we are still fighting to change this still, 30 years later! 

 My epiphany or pivotal moment was on that bridge in the South of France.

From that moment on I realised we all need to become more conscious. I was the first to put the word Conscious with Fashion an idea I developed with my first brand Conscious Earthwear. I purposely chose that name in that way.

D: When did you set up on your own?
 
S: I wanted to do something more, so I set up the brand with my boyfriend at the time and called it Conscious Earthwear and printed T shirts. We created loads of them, this was around the time of the rave scene; we created all the rave T shirts it was a really successful business. Honestly it was like printing money selling those T shirts. We were free you know, we thought we were gonna change the world. And we did in a way, we made it so people could dance all night. Before that they kicked you out of clubs at 2 o'clock in the morning. We fought the criminal justice bill. Saying you can't penalise us for wanting to dance, it’s a human right.
 
D: What were you making your T shirts from?
 
S: We were making them in a studio in Saint Albans called 21st State. We created T shirts for bands like The Grid, for Jazzy B from Soul II Soul and his Camden shop Soul II Soul, we were in on the dance scene in London at the time we were known as “The S/Chakras” because we were always talking about Consciousness and the Indian Chakra System. It was then that I started saying we should be making more really conscious clothing we should be making these out of organic cotton.
 
My partner at the time moved to California, I didn't want to go, I was from Brighton, what do I need to go to California for? I already know that kind of life. I have lived by the sea in a progressive city. I also felt that London, as one of the top capital cities of the world, is an important place to be, it’s a window on the world. That what you do here and what you create can make a big difference. If I went to California I would become just some groupie hippy, so I stayed. As a feminist I felt I should follow my own path and do what I was gifted to do, which was to make Conscious Fashion, fashionable. 
 
I started searching for organic cotton and eco-friendly fabrics to make clothes from. I researched at The British Cotton Council and at the London College of Fashion Library. I discovered some organic cotton from India and I made my first collection “One World Tribe Vibe”, it was heavily inspired by the work of Keith Haring, environmental Artist Richard Long and Andy Goldsworthy. Then for the subsequent collection “Touch the Earth” I used organic cotton cheesecloth and literally hand printed the cloth with my handprint, I had just completed a course in Yoruba Tribe natural dyeing and used my new found skill set in the collection. The collection was featured in The Face magazine and I did my first runway show at a warehouse in Camden Lock. The next collection was based on Celtic culture and was a winter collection featuring knitwear made from recycled post-consumer waste which I picked from Oxfam Wastesavers.
 
It was there that I discovered that because this is the British Isles tonnes of knitwear is sent to Oxfam, a lot of cable knit sweaters. There had been a big trend for cable knit sweaters in the 80’s because bands like Haircut 100 had been wearing big Arran sweaters. With time of course they all were chucked out.

 


D: Did you unpick the wool and remake?
 
S: I undid the side seams and turned it into a fabric, then I draped it on the stand to see what we could do with it. Because of my fashion background I was thinking what can I do? I made coats and dresses out of them, that was my first winter collection.
 
Luck was on my side when I went to see the woman who ran a trade show called Inter-Season, at Olympia in Kensington. I asked if I could have a stand and she sponsored me which gave me a window on the world. I got £26,000 of orders from this first show, back in the 90s that was a lot of money. I recycled the packing paper from the fixtures and fittings and put it on the walls I showed a recycled Denim knit and organic cotton collection and collaborated with a friend to make jewellery. 
 
It was an interesting time because there was a movement in this direction, Margiela in Paris was creating garments out of old stuff, Yamamoto also was working that way, it was a big movement that isn’t really talked about that much.
 
To build the brand we had pop-up shops before pop-up was a thing. I worked with Alternative Arts and we had an incredible shop behind Carnaby St, it was amazing. There were a few of us working this way at the time Kate Hills and Joe from Vexed Generation, Grahame from Kilogramme Patchworks and Sister T. Bjork came to the store and fashion stylists Andy Blake bought the pieces for music artists, it was great being there right bang in the middle of London with a statement. We sold the collection to Brown’s as a result of that.
 
D: The brand became known as Ciel from 2004. Ciel is a beautiful name, what does it mean?
 
S: It means Heaven. Sky or the Heavens in French. Ciel was a different brand, more feminine in feel less urban. I was trying to find a name that would be like Conscious because conscious was always keeping me on track, it a reminded not to deviate, even if you find yourself attracted to shiny things, but if it’s not Green you can't use it. Which makes necessity the mother of invention.

I worked with the Soil Association so that I could change the story there and helped work on the GOTS Global Organic Textile Standard, where I brought the designers view, because at the time they only had food labelling and together we changed some of the wording to create the more coherent inclusive standard that we have today. I also worked with PAN Pesticide Action Network, we created a campaign about Bee’s, before the importance of their welfare was known about. I worked with EJF (Environmental Justice Foundation) designing T-Shirts for fundraising for Staro, the Save The Amazon Rainforest Organisation and with the proceeds bought land to save which was later given over to Prince Charles and the Green Frog Save the Rainforest Campaign. I worked as Co-founder and Chair of the Ethical Fashion Forum, (now known as the Common Objective or CO), with Judith Condor-Vidal, Carrie Sommers, Tamsin Lejeune and Allana MacAspurn amongst others. 
 
Ciel - Conscious International Earthwear Limited. It’s a name that was meaningful, it was blue sky thinking, optimistic it was short and was near the top of the alphabet.
 
I made some samples, I got an agent and she got us into Vogue, and it sort of happened from there.
 
The problem we have in this country is that we take people who are very small niche brands, we put them under hot house lights, make them grow and blossom and then they crash and burn, this is the trouble with UK independent designer fashion. We are always looking at the new, new, new, new, new and that causes its own problems.

 


D: What was your favourite collection?
 
S: I loved working with alpaca, the knitwear, that was such a joy. I worked with lovely people in Peru. They were so nice they had 52 colours, all natural that was exciting. I loved going to Peru and sourcing and learning the story of textiles there. At one point in Peru, textiles were worth more than gold. Historically the Spanish invader Cortez devastated the people, when he said ‘take me to your most precious thing’ they took him to their temple and the most precious thing they had, in their eyes was a textile. It was a beautiful wall hanging. He was furious because he wanted gold, he burnt the whole place to the ground and killed them all.
 
I have a lot of respect for Peruvians, because when I went to their factories they had rights to association everywhere, fair labour everywhere. The right to association means the people were able to form trade unions, they had a voice, they don’t have that in some countries even in America some rights to unions were suppressed in some states.
 
D: That's what Fashion Revolution are did with their ‘Who Made My Clothes’ campaign isn't it.
 
S: Yes!! Thank goodness there are fashion people like Carrie Somers and Orsola de Castro who are awake to try to change the story and make a difference. Carrie created one of the first Fair Trade fashion standards with her work with
Pachacuti the Panama hats such an inspiration to us all.
 
I loved working in Peru. I loved working with the knitwear, it was a joy to work with the knitters. It was very soulful, you went to their house you saw them knitting it was lovely. It was really wonderful because it was making a difference and in a very cool way and making great product design. When Jane Shepherdson was at Whistles I created a really nice knitwear collection with them, where we collaborated together with the Peruvian knitters.

 

Then there was a collaboration with Liberties using their deadstock, that was a lovely, lovely collaboration because I got to look at all the archive and see the most fantastic fabrics. This was before using up deadstock became a thing.
 
Fashion is always going to exist. My whole ethos when I first started in the 90’s was to make it fashionable to be green. That was my one of my core philosophies.
 
D: That still holds true now, you can have beautiful clothing which is made well ethically and environmentally.
 
S: What I'm wearing right now is a John Smedley collaboration, made from organic cotton, made in Portugal and it’s beautiful. I also found a brand on Instagram, which is a very popular called, Never Fully Dressed they make mostly in the UK and that's great. At least they are doing their bit, ‘not everyone can do everything, but everyone can do something’. I created T shirts that says that, for a pop-up shop I did with Eco-Age. It was a quote from the lovely gardener Monty Don. I took it to our pop-up launch at Ecoage and Livia (Firth) bought all of them, and her team wore them at the launch of her film In Prison My Whole Life. That was a great moment. They were all organic cotton, long sleeves with this quote; ‘No one can do everything, but everyone can do something’ and that's so true.
 
D: Are you still creating your T shirts through Conscious Earthwear?
 
S: Yes, I've just become an ambassador for tree planting which has led to me to creating a Re-Wild Me new collection of sweatshirts and tees with pressed wildflowers they are beautiful I’ve called them Save Me! I print with Rapanui who are completely circular, printing is on demand and they work in a solar powered factory with organic cotton and print on the Isle of Wight, even their packaging is from recycled materials. Then at the end of the life of the T shirt they will take it back and will recycle it and make it into new yarn and new product. So truly completely circular which I am so happy about. We, get a royalty for the charity to plant trees and I don't have to worry about any of the production as I know it’s origin and ethics. This is what I call smart collaboration.
 
Ciel is an interiors brand now and I am making inroads into that industry, because they don't talk about being sustainable at all, and they need to. I went on a course on hotel interior design, and they brought out all these swatch’s and they were made out of vinyl. I was like PVC? Really? Wow are we in the dark ages, then they tried to side line me and push me away, because they didn't know my background. I'm not in their industry and what I’ve done means nothing to them. During a course I was on, I was the one at the back asking awkward questions, interestingly now though they're talking about it, and Heals are now doing sustainable furniture, but where is the certification for furniture and interiors? It’s been interesting infiltrating that world for the last 10 years and changing that conversation too.
 
The great thing about interiors is that it’s slower and I can sell the same things all the time, because if you choose something that's really beautiful and stylish then it's not going to go out of style. When you buy a new sofa, you're going to have it for 10, 20, 50 years and more.
 
D: Yes, our dining table and chairs are from the 1950’s which we inherited when we moved into our last house.
 
S: Interiors are a lot slower, you can change things by having different cushion covers. Say I got pink velvet cushion covers but in the summer I might want to change them and I could easily put green on there and it still looks good or I could put yellow, and make it feel warm. Textiles in the home can give you a new look and feel and they last.
 

D: How do you see the future?
 
S: I think we have to be hopeful. That's one of the most important messages to get out there.
 
Change is coming, and circularity is coming, and the main thing is that production has to slow down. We must slow down the cycle then people can have the time to switch their factories and update them. It takes time, it takes money, and it takes investment. Most fashion brands don't own their own factories, that's a problem, they used to, but not anymore. Also, this constant quest for new new new and everything to be cheap has to stop.
 
Recently I did a teaching course, lots of people write to me and ask if I can come and talk at their college. This made me want to know more about teaching. So, I've been updating my skill base and learning how to present.
 
I have also started thinking, how can I be a voice for positivity, looking at solutions, looking at how we can change this story. What we focus on is what becomes bigger, when we collectively focus on s**t then guess what……. that’s what we get, that's what consciousness means, the broadening of humanity in the mind, and it's really important that we plant seeds of hope and find solutions.
 
Cindi Rhoades set up a company called Worn Again Technologies, looking at the bigger picture, where they can split recycled fabrication into different modules. That's the future, that is what we are going towards this is real circularity, then people won't burn collections.
 
I have seen so many children with climate depression, it’s a thing. It's unfair that they should be feeling this way when they should be enjoying their childhood and not worrying about this. So, I felt that I needed to be positive and didn’t know how to do it, so started by going back to college.
 
What I've discovered about teaching is that young people already know a lot, it's not like you're turning up and telling them some brand new story, they are part of the fabric of society just like anyone else.
My starting point is OK we already know about these things, so where are the gaps? One interesting thing is that using organic cotton, reduces the water needed for its production, the why of this is not talked about enough. They don't tell you why.
People can be self-sacrificing, I'm such a good person, I'm eating organic but again, same thing they don’t tell you why. Why are you doing that? There are lots of missing links that would make all this communication so simple for children because it is simple.
 
As far as fashion is concerned people are like peacocks it is in our DNA, you can't take that away from us, people are always gonna want to shine.
 
The whole point of circular design is that it starts at the design stage because it needs to be built in at that point. Educating designers with this in mind is really important.


D: In the past products were created to be repaired, then they started creating things to fail and a lot of products in our homes are built that way at the moment, but I am pleased to say that is beginning to change again.
 
S: I remember learning about that when I was a child, built in obsolescence and that’s a problem because things are built to only last for a short time. Orsola says “loved things last” and I think that’s true if you invest in something then you want to keep it, repair it fix it, share it. In the fashion world we must work with what already exists, but people are voraciously eating clothing like it’s going out of fashion, we need systems in place to make garments circular.
 
D: Some people say that the fashion industry can pivot quickly. Designers can but the industry around them is much slower. It’s time to build the economy differently now.
 
S: Investment is the key thing. Who's investing in the Plant (machinery)? For me the biggest change that has to happen is investment in Plant. Make filters for the factories, its simple make filters and filter the effluent. There was a Danish company who did this, they put filtration systems in their factories, and used the effluent to heat the factory. They were so clever; they were ahead of the curve as this was happening in the 90s. This should be happening everywhere by now.
 
If we could get investment in Plant to create change in factories where it's needed and make sure that factories comply, and that the big companies who are placing orders with them also give grants to the companies to enable the update. They need to tie a proportion of their profits to these companies. There should be modern philanthropy.
 
Cheap clothing means somebody somewhere is not being paid and that usually means it’s the workers. There are slave labour camps in China which is also linked to ethnic cleansing all for production for the West. The UK has one of the biggest fashion footprints and we are tiny. Why do we need all this stuff?
 
It's time to fix, the big problem, and the big problem is, that people don't feel validated. This whole cult of new, the cult of trend, it’s time to switch the language we use. We need to think about our style. What style are we? Not what trend. A daffodil is always going to be a daffodil.
 
The right words create change, how we talk about this is one of the biggest changes we can make. It’s simple and effective, if we help people with positive language then they can change the story themselves. It can be self-directed, when they have the right information.



Links


Instagram: Conscious Earthwear


LinkedIn: Sarah Ratty FRSA


Consultancy: Sarah Ciel







 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...